Illustration: Austro-Hungarian Monarchy Illustration: Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
 
 

Austro-Hungarian Monarchy

 
 

Austro-Hungarian Monarchy

The Basic State Law concerning the Judiciary, passed together with the December Constitution in 1867, finally implemented the principle of the separation of the judiciary and the administrative authorities at all levels, and led to the establishment of the court structure that has essentially continued to the present. In 1861, the legal affairs of the Kingdom of Hungary together with Croatia and Slavonia were removed from the scope of jurisdiction of the Supreme Court of Justice, which from then on only comprised 9 Higher Regional Court of Appeal districts.

The substantive jurisdiction of the Supreme Court of Justice and Cassation underwent extensive and major changes in subsequent years, in the field of criminal law by the enactment of the Code of Criminal Procedure in 1873 and in the field of civil law by the enactment of the Reform Acts of 1895 and 1896 under Minister of Justice Franz Klein, namely the Judicature Act, the Code of Civil Procedure and the Act on Judicial Execution.

 
ogh.gv.at | 11.12.2018, 18:12
(http://www.ogh.gv.at/en/the-supreme-court-of-justice/history-of-the-supreme-court-of-justice/austro-hungarian-monarchy/)

Oberster Gerichtshof  |  Schmerlingplatz 11 , A-1010 Wien - Vienna  |  Phone: +43 1 52152 0  |  Fax: +43 1 52152 3710